Thursday, March 17, 2005

Support our Troops

I served with Jerry at the start of his Naval Career and end of mine. He has amazing talents but look how he is treated. I just do not understand this. You would think with his kind of experience, employers would want him. He has a proven track record. Here is what he has submitted to his local paper in Memphis - the Commercial Appeal.

Support Your Troops ?!?

The outward show of support for U.S. Troops forward deployed (i.e. placing stickers on cars, placing candles in windows, hanging yellow ribbons hanging from trees, etc…) is evident in every corner of America. People are concerned for their sons and daughters and don’t want the shame and ridicule veterans experienced during Viet Nam to happen again. What is not so evident is that support when they return. I myself have recently retired from the U.S. Navy after faithfully serving my country for 23 years. I was proud to do it and would join up again in a heartbeat. But recently I have been asking myself if it was indeed worth it. Let me share some of my experiences with you.

After I put the gun down and picked up the pen I have been faced with a sort of discrimination that I don’t think most people realize are out there. The question “What qualifications do you possess that we in the civilian world can use?” came up again and again. True enough, we often performed duties that don’t readily transfer into the everyday life. But, recently a potential employer told me that I had no experience and therefore he couldn’t use me. I told him that I had done things like train new sailors how to do their job, operated numerous computer systems, maintained budgets, and most importantly led people by example. If that isn’t experience then he was right and I’m not qualified to work in that field. But, I challenge any manager to tell me these experiences couldn’t be very useful. I have also heard that I was overqualified (I worked off duty hours on evenings and weekends to complete a Master’s Degree). I really wish someone could explain that to me. I was never “overqualified” when it came time to go into harm’s way. One man even told me that I was the wrong color to get a job in the Memphis area (I am a White Male) and that really made my blood boil. I told him that in the Navy we were and always will be one color – NAVY BLUE !!! I decided if that were the criteria to get a job at his company then I’d rather work elsewhere.

I’m not saying that servicemen and women should get favoritism. What I am saying is that we deserve a chance. If you are a potential employer out there and a veteran comes in (or you see their resume online) don’t just dismiss them out of hand. Chances are they already have the discipline and work ethic that most companies are really looking for. The next time you want to “Support Your Troops” please do something more than putting a sticker on your car.

Jerry Halbrook
U.S. Navy, retired
jdhal09631@yahoo.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home