Friday, March 18, 2005

Everyone has Job Problems

Here is a response from my friend James concerning finding Jobs. Both Jerry and James are highly intelligent, educated, and skilled individuals.

I think the problem now days is that there is so much pressure on companies to remain competitive in the global economy. Our wages have been much higher in the US and now we are seeing a vacuum of sorts regarding wages. Most companies want the top dog but don't what to pay them their worth. Over qualified really means we don't really want to pay you. I just interview for a job on Monday and their stated requirements were college degree and Microsoft/Cisco certifications.
Yet during the interview they say that this job is basically 80% help desk support. So, I'm sure the salary will fall in line with the latter. A guy at our church was a VP at EDS and was let go during the Dick Brown era. This man cannot secure a job. He has had countless interviews all over the country and still no job. I mean to tell you the whole job market is very tough right now. He has depleted all his savings and most of his retirement. There is talk of labor shortages in the US due to baby boomer's retiring. Yet, with pensions being tapped and 401K's tanking, I would be surprised to see any type of shortage.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel it's just the military man or woman having problems finding good paying jobs. It affects everyone out in the market place today. Companies are out of touch with the employees just like the government is out of touch with the common man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home